Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Thank you to everyone who helped us raise $8,500 dollars this summer to donate to the HIV/AIDS Care Center in Puttur, India. We ended up raising exactly how much the last cottage cost. GOD works in some pretty awesome ways! We gave the check to GlobalNIM, who sent the money to Brother Henry, began the Good Shepard Mission in India many years ago, and is heading up the HIV/AIDS Care Center. Check out more information about the project at globalnim.org!
Also, as Kory and Ashley have gone down to college and I am in the midst of my crazy, extravagantly-busy senior year, it has been slow going getting everything up and running into a good schedule after the big event this summer. However, things are starting to slow down and my schedule is finally easing up. We are kicking things back into gear. And as always, if you see a globe, drop in your spare coins!
Monday, May 24, 2010
HELP BREAK AN OFFICIAL WORLD RECORD!!! (due to the awful weather on May 1st we are re-attempting the record on July 24th, still at the Riverwalk). Contribute to raising the most money for a charity in coins! Change It! has received the go ahead from Guinness Wp;rd Records to break an official world record! We are only initiating and organizing the attempt, however. WE NEED YOUR HELP! The current record is 152,217 GBP, just about 230,000 USD, all in COINS! There is absolutely no way a small number of people could achieve such a feat on their own. We need everybody's help. If everyone in tulsa donated only $1, we would more than double the record. Imagine if everyone in Tulsa and beyond donated even just 50 cents. This is an EASY way to make a HUGE difference in the HIV/AIDS battle.
WHEN IS IT?
July 24th, 2010
We are still in the planning stages, but for now bands will be playing from 1-8.
WHERE IS IT?
Jenks Riverwalk Crossing (West side of Arkansas River on E 96th St)
WHAT'S GOING ON?
Change It! staff and volunteers will arrive around noon to begin set-up and collection of coins
From noon until 1PM coin collection will continue while others mingle along the Riverwalk as they wish
Bands will play a 40 minute set at the top of every hour beginning at 1
1--Sketches of Eden
6--John Moreland (sponsored by KMOD)
7--The Red Alert (sponsored by Z104.5 the Edge)
Bands will have merchandise tables
Change It! t-shirts will be on sale (a limited supply of event-specific t-shirts will be given away to anyone who makes a $10+ donation)
*thank you Kent Claggett and Dave Thomas for putting the video together, as well as GlobalNIM for the pictures and Anna Forehand for her voice.
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Change It! has received the go ahead from the official world record keeper* to break a world record! We are only initiating and organizing the record attempt however. WE NEED YOUR HELP!! The current record is 152,217 GBP, just about 230,000 USD, all in COINS! There is absolutely no way a small number of people could achieve such a feat on their own. We need everybody's help with this. If everyone in Tulsa donated only $1, we would more than double the record. Imagine if everyone in Tulsa and beyond donated just even 50 cents. This is an easy way to give just a little to make a gargantuan difference!
WHEN IS IT?
- May 1st, 2010
- Background music starts at 2PM
- Bands begin to play at 4PM
WHERE IS IT?
- Jenks Riverwalk Crossing (West side of Arkansas River on E 96th St)
WHAT'S GOING ON?
- Change It! staff members will arrive at 10AM to begin set-up and collection of coins
- From 10AM-2PM coin collection will continue while others mingle along the Riverwalk as they wish
- Beginning at 2PM background music will be played (iPod or acoustic musician)
- Bands will begin to play at 4PM. They will play for 40 minutes with 20 minutes in-between each band. Will play at 4, 5, 6, and 7PM and will be of four different varities in hopes of satisfying as many demographics as possible.
4--Family Church Praise Band, 5--T-Town Theory, 6--Paul Benjamin, 7--The Red Alert
KMOD is sponsoring Paul Benjamin. The Edge is sponsoring The Red Alert.
- Bands will have merhandise tables
- Change It! t-shirts will be on sale (a limited supply of event-specific t-shirts will be on sale)
*We are waiting for licensing approval from the organization, but we all know who the official world record keeper is. Also, there is a fee for using the trademarked title and symbol of around $600 for maximum usage. If anyone wishes to donate the full cost, or would like to support by giving any amount towards this, please let any one of the Change It! staff members know as soon as possible.
Saturday, August 8, 2009
Change It! was established out of a heart and desire to do something about the impact of HIV/AIDS in our world.
This is a huge and widespread problem that will not be easily fixed, but just as the story of the starfish goes, we can do something.
The first recipient of collected donations is Good Shepherd Mission (GSM) located in Puttur, India. GSM is building a Care Center for patients who have HIV/AIDS. The patient, as well as the family, will be able to live in one of the cottages, receive medication and care, help tend the garden for sustainable provisions, and receive spiritual and emotional support until they are well enough to return home, or succumb to the disease. A non-infected physician will oversee the faculty of support staff, some of who have tested positive for HIV, but are still able to work.
Please follow this link for complete information about the projects being carried out at GSM.Join us as we attempt to Change Our World With Common Cents.
- stop by a sponsoring partner who is displaying one of our Change It! coin receptacles and drop in your spare change as you make a purchase. (See list below)
- purchase a t-shirt to help spread the word about who we are and what we are doing. (Go to centralchurch.tv and follow the Change It! link. Coming very soon!)
- encourage your friends to participate by supporting our sponsors and dropping in their change, as well.
- watch for details of our upcoming Benefit Concert and plan to attend. Admission will be all the loose change you can bring!
Our Sponsors: (Receptacles now in these locations!)
- Charlie's Chicken (103rd & Memorial)
- Charlie's Chicken (61st & Sheridan)
- Charlie's Chicken (31st & Garnett)
- Charlie's Chicken (71st & 145th)
- Ron's (Jenks)
- B52 Pizza (Broken Arrow)
- Starbucks (111th & Memorial
- Starbucks (81st & Mingo)
- Uncle Vinny's (Broken Arrow)
- Dr. Joe Morgan (81st & Memorial)
- Figaro's Hair Salon (81st & Lewis)
- Boxworks (Utica Square)
- Nelson Nissan (Broken Arrow)
- Season's Home Fragrance and Decor (Downtown Broken Arrow)
- Sun and Ski Sports (71st and Memorial)
- Back Yard Burger (91st and Memorial)
- Back Yard Burger (71st and Mingo)
- Coweta High School (HWY 51 and 305th)
- Denny's Hamburger (Jenks)
- Freshberry (Jenks)
- Dixie Cream Donut Shop (Jenks)
- JB's Donut Shop (Coweta)
- Jenks High School (Jenks)
Change It! is an initiative of Central Church, a registered 501(c)3 organization. Tax deductible check donations can be sent to:
Central Church, Change It!, 7291 East 81st Street, Tulsa, OK 74133
or to donate online go to centralchurch.tv and click on the "donate online" icon, and choose Change it!
Please email Ashley, Conor, Kory, or Mollie your questions at email@example.com.
Tulsa World Article from October 2009